Before we begin, it is important to have clarity on the “task” performed by each app, as well as their capabilities and limitations:
- Gathers data submitted through the funnel such as questions/answers, contact information, and their respective segment/bucket
- bucket.io does not tag, but can deliver data that can be turned into tags inside Kartra
- Pulls data out of bucket and sends it to Kartra
- Zapier uses pre-existing fields from Kartra to place information such as name, email, their segment/bucket, etc. If a field is not available in Zapier when filling out the integration form, it means that the field does not exist in Kartra yet.
- Receives information sent by zapier and uses it to run automation, tagging, etc.
- A Custom field to receive segment/bucket values, and should be a “text input” type of field - this helps to create standalone automations using field values
- A tag named Zapier: This would be a general tag that helps identify the leads that are coming from bucket so that Kartra can have an automation starting point to find the lead.
- Have your funnel ready in terms of buckets, questions, lead capture pages, etc. please note that this does not refer to design, but more to the structure of the funnel.
- Have your Zapier account set up
STEP #1: Create an “IF-AND-THEN” Kartra automation
Since Zapier only sends information to custom fields and Kartra does have the capability of triggering actions only based on Custom fields, we need an additional trigger condition within Kartra to either add a tag, or add people to a list. So we’ll use automations with the “if-and-then” condition.
- In Kartra go to My communications, from the left-hand menu bar
- Then at the top, you’ll see a menu bar with three options (Leads, Communications, and Analytics), hover over “Communications” which automatically deploys another menu, and click “Automations”
- From the right-hand side click the option to add automation represented by “+automation”
Then fill out the form with the following information:
For the “IF” condition select “Lead is assigned tag…”
- Choose the category of the tag(s). When creating tags, Kartra asks you to create a category first, which is like grouping tags based on category, you might want to have one category to put all your bucket related tags.
- Select Zapier in the “Select tag” field
- Click the “Add” button
For the “AND” conditions select “Lead’s custom field”
- Then choose the custom field (our field was named bucket)
- Select the criterion, we suggest “Contains” to avoid rejections due to typos, etc.
- Click the “Add” button
Finally, for the “THEN” condition
- Select the action to be performed by Kartra, we’ve selected “subscribe to a list” but you can change it by other actions based on the desired flow, for instance - Subscribe to a list, Assign tag, or Subscribe to sequence
- Choose a list, tag, or sequence
Once the condition has been set it should look like this:
And back to the automations page they should look like this
STEP #2: Create a three-step Zap
First step Zap
- Log into your Zapier Account
- Click Make a new Zap
- Find Bucket.io 2.0 in the App Search, please be careful not to choose the one that says “bucket 2.0 beta”
- Select New Lead as the trigger
Note: If you have connected bucket to Zapier before, skip to item #7
- Click Sign In to Bucket.io 2.0 to add your account, it will open a pop up asking to enter your bucket API key
- Copy and paste this API Key in the Zapier pop-up and click Yes, Continue
- Click the blue Continue button and it will ask to choose an account, select it from the drop-down menu, and click the blue continue button again
- It will display a Customize Lead field asking to enter a verification token code. Leave this open and switch back to bucket to find the unique funnel verification code.
- If you are inside your funnel, click Settings, which will consequently display the settings menu of your Funnel
- Click Integrations, which will display all of the available apps to integrate with
- Click the Zapier icon, and this will automatically open a screen with a Verification Token code, copy and paste it in the Funnel Verification Token field (item #8 from these instructions), and press tab. This will automatically enable the continue button, click continue.
- This will open the Find Data section asking to test your trigger to confirm connectivity, click the Test Trigger button to bring a sample lead (most likely it’s under a dummy name such as “fake browser”). Click the Continue button to conclude the first step of the Zap
The second step zap
- From the Choose App & Event search box type Kartra
- Choose the trigger event “ Create new lead” and click the continue button
Note: If you have previously added your ESP account, it will display at the drop-down menu to choose from, if not, you’ll be asked to sign into Kartra first.
- Click Continue and it will display an integration form, click the emails field and choose the Zapier values provided, most likely “email@example.com”
- Scroll down to find the field “bucket” suggested in the integration checklist above, and select the value given for the outcome and continue
Now let’s create the third step to tag people as “Zapier”
- Click the plus sign to add another step and from the Choose App & Event search box, then type Kartra
- Choose the trigger event “ Assign Tag to Lead” and click the continue button
- Choose your Kartra account from the drop down menu and click Continue
- Click the tag category and choose the desired one
- Click the “assign a tag# field to select the “Zapier” tag
- From the drop down menu given at the Email field you’ll see two sources to choose from, choose the “email” provided by bucket (you probably need to click “show more options” to see it) then click Continue
- A “Send data” option will appear, click “test & review” to get confirmation that the connection was established successfully
- Click “done editing” and turn on the Zap
Note: don’t forget to name your Zap
STEP # 3: Test integration
- If the funnel is ready, publish it, and using the given URL in bucket, submit one test lead with a valid email address
- Give it around 5 minutes after submission and check your Kartra account