CodeVA Facilitator Apprenticeship
The CodeVA Facilitator Apprenticeship is an intensive practicum emphasizing continuous learning, best practices for facilitation, pedagogy, and CS knowledge acquisition in a hands on experience. Apprentices are given the space to empower themselves through the gradual increase of responsibility to become Facilitators of CodeVA’s signature teacher training.
- To create a pipeline of facilitators versed in CodeVA best practices of adult learning and CS education.
- To create an in-house training and development program within CodeVA as a resource and catalyst for the development of resources, curriculum, and training facilitation.
The apprenticeship is structured in a cohort model. Apprentices will work closely with current program facilitators in providing training and learning best practices. Apprentices use the learn, observe, participate, facilitate
(LOPF) framework. As part of this work, responsibility is gradually increased. Apprentices are asked to complete observations and debriefs with facilitators as part of a continuous learning conversation. As the conclusion of the apprenticeship, apprentices complete performance tasks to show mastery of the Four Domains of Facilitation
There is not a set amount of time for the completion of the apprenticeship
. It relies on a combination of factors that emphasizes the apprentice's comfortability, facilitation skills, and content knowledge. The duration of the apprenticeship is connected to the completion of activities and performance tasks
based on CodeVA's Four Domains of Facilitation within a framework monitored by current Facilitators and CodeVA staff. The time-frame for completion is typically a minimum of 6 to 24 months.
Because each apprentice is different and brings their own skills and assets to the program the apprenticeship time will vary.
In order to participate in the CodeVA Facilitator Apprenticeship Cohort applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Current Public School Teacher
- Currently licensed to teach in Virginia
- Has completed the training program applying to apprentice for (And taught the course/materials)
- CS Endorsement for Elective Teachers
- Has no incident reports
If candidates meet the aforementioned requirements they are asked to complete and submit an application and if accepted will take part in the intensive practicum-based Facilitator Apprenticeship.
- Apprentice Application
- Domains of Facilitation
- Facilitator Apprenticeship Structure
CodeVA Facilitator Apprenticeship Application
Learn more about the CodeVA Apprenticeship and Requirements
FAQ- Facilitator Apprenticeship
1. What is the Facilitator Apprenticeship? The CodeVA Facilitator Apprenticeship is an intensive practicum emphasizing continuous learning, best practices for facilitation, pedagogy, and CS knowledge acquisition in a hands-on experience. Apprentices ...
Domains of Facilitation
Working Group Volunteers
WORKING GROUPS CodeVA is forming "working groups" training to leverage the knowledge and skill-sets of our facilitators and apprentices. As a part of this structure, CodeVA faculty will facilitate virtual "working groups" with teams of teachers. ...
Since computers use electricity to store information, all they can really do is mark ON or OFF ON = 1 OFF = 0 NOTE: Students do NOT need to know how to translate base ten to binary (base two) CodeVA's Podcast episode on binary: Resources Binary ...