You can create an Essay Response (#100) question from the Create Question page. If you are familiar with our general question creating process, you can skip to Step 5 for information specific to the Essay Response question.
1. Name your question in the space provided and click the Save button.
2. If desired, add a stimulus to accompany the question in the space provided by clicking the Blue Pencil button and opening your Rich Text Editor. You can add text, audio, video, or images. Click the OK button upon completion. You can name this tab or you can add a new tab with an alternative stimulus by clicking the (+) button.
3. Enter the instructions and/or prompts in the space provided. If desired, change the Point value for the question.
4. Tag learning standards to your question by clicking the Tags tab. For more information about Tagging Standards, click here
. Click the Show More button to see additional options. If desired, add a Rubric, Settings, Solutions, and Hints. For more information about these options, please click here.
5. You can edit the settings of your Essay Response question by clicking on the Settings Gear. You can choose to allow/disallow Media Files (Image, Audio, Video, Ppt, or Pdf) in Student Responses. By default, these options are all allowed.
Note: In order to upload a media file, students click on the paperclip icon from their Student Response box.
6. You can also choose to Set Character Limit, Show Character Count, Show Word Count, Show Simplified Toolbar, or Enable Math Tool (Note: you will need to disable all media file inclusions to set any of these settings).
Note: If you check the Set Character Limit, Show Character Count, or Show Word Count box, the number will appear in the top right-hand corner of the Student Response box.
Note: If you check the Show Simplified Toolbar box, students will see less options in their Student Response toolbar.
Note: If you checkbox the Enable Math Tool, students will have two additional tool options in their toolbar: a Math Expression Editor and a Graph Editor. If you would like to learn more about the Graph Editor, click here.
If you are an Edcite Schools customer, you also have access to the Essay Answer with Audio Recorder (#102) question type. On this question type, students can record an audio answer. For more information on Edcite Schools, our premium platform, click here.
If you would like to view examples of Essay Response questions, click below:
- Example 1
- Example 2
- Example 3