MMP Projects to work on during COVID-19 or during quiet times.
- Metadata clean-up
- Go through existing collections and improve the metadata.
- Improve title field – give short, concise, accurate titles
to images. Remove [brackets]. Give
distinct names to each item – instead of the same name to multiple items of the
same location/event etc.
- Improve description field – give details to whom, what,
where, when, why and how in complete sentences in this field.
- Improve subject field – Select subjects that accurately
describe the items and will produce the item in common searches
- Improve the geographic location field – verify each item
displays a city and county name that most accurately describes where the item
- Go through existing transcript of print items and clean-up
- Transcribe hand-written documents
- Transcribe audio recordings, if not currently available
- Add new collections
- Work on collections that have approved applications –
schedule a refresher training with Jennifer if needed.
- Create a new collection application for materials not yet on
the MMP and submit
- Schedule a virtual consult with Jennifer if needed
- Scan items
- Create metadata
- Upload new content
- Create a locally relevant exhibit (Jennifer will guide you
through the process if you need help)
- Look for photos and items related to the topic and save
title and links to items in a spreadsheet
- Research and write text to describe the items
- Share content links and text with Jennifer to review
- Create a list for Social Media sharing.
- Select a topic
- Search for items (particularly photos) related to the topic
– 40+ items is best
- Save items to list within the MMP
- Export list and share with Jennifer
MMP - Glossary of Terms
Digital Imaging Vocabulary Bit Depth - Bit depth quantifies how many unique colors are available in an image’s color palette in terms of the number of 0’s and 1’s, or “bits.” See also: Dynamic Range Compression - The reduction of image file size for ...
MMP - Metadata Guidelines
Title Element Name Title Dublin Core Definition A name given to the resource. Is Field Required? Required Is Field Repeatable? No How to Use? Title may also be an identifying phrase or name of the object supplied by the contributing institution. Take ...
MMP - Collection Policy
Project Description The Montana Memory Project (MMP) is an online resource for digital collections relating to Montana's cultural heritage. These collections help to document the Montana experience. Access is free and open through the Internet. Many ...
MMP - For First Time Contributors - Contributing Institution Agreement Form
All new contributors are asked to sign the attached Contributing Institution Agreement form which outlines the expectations of Contributors and the MMP. Return the signed form to the MMP Director or firstname.lastname@example.org.
MMP - Hardware and Software Recommendations
Computer The hub of any scanning station is the computer. Because archival-quality digital files are very large in size and can be quite taxing on computers, ensure that your computer has adequate RAM and disk space. Remember that image-processing ...