Testing the Permanent Mobile App
Permanent is excited to announce that our new and improved mobile apps for iOS and Android are available for beta testing! You can download and start using them today using these instructions. Then, we want to hear from you about what you think. You can provide feedback directly through the app (iOS) or the Google Play Store (Android) and let us know what worked for you, what didn't work for you, and what you would improve. Your input will help to directly determine the success of these apps.
Below are the instructions for downloading the app and providing feedback on iOS and Android.
iOS App Instructions
Downloading the App
- On your iPhone, navigate to the App Store and download the TestFlight app. Alternatively, follow this link to download the TestFlight App.
- Once you have successfully downloaded the TestFlight App, tap this link to the public invitation on your device. This will redirect you to the TestFlight app, where you can click the Accept button to accept the beta testing invitation. After clicking Accept, click the Install button and the Permanent app will install on your device.
- You can access the Permanent App either from the app icon on your home screen as you would any other app, or you can access the app through the TestFlight App.
Through the TestFlight App:
- Open the TestFlight app on your device, and tap the Permanent app in the Apps list.
- Tap Send Beta Feedback
- Alternatively, you can tap and hold the Permanent App on your device's home screen and select Send Beta Feedback.
- Select whether you will be including a screenshot or not
- Provide your feedback (up to 2,000 characters). You can choose to include your email address in the email field if you wish.
Through the Permanent App:
When you take a screenshot of the Permanent Beta App, you can share the screenshot with us without leaving the app.
- Take a screenshot on your device. For assistance with taking a screenshot, visit Apple's support documentation on screenshots.
- A thumbnail of your screenshot will appear in the lower left corner of your screen. Tap the thumbnail to view it and add additional markup if necessary.
- Tap the Done button in the top left corner, then tap Share Beta Feedback in the dialog that opens.
- You can submit additional comments and your email address (optional) along with the screenshot. When you are ready, tap Submit in the top right corner.
Android App Instructions
Downloading the App
- Download the Permanent app from the Google Play Store.
- Once downloaded, you can open the app like you would any other.
- Open the Play Store on your device to the main page of the store (you should see a search bar at the top).
- At the top right, tap the profile icon (this should be your Google account photo).
- Tap Ratings and Reviews under Apps and Devices.
- Find the Permanent App listed in your apps list and tap it to open the details page.
- Tap Write Feedback under Private Feedback to Developer
- Tap the stars to rate the Permanent app and provide your feedback in the box. You must include a rating and a written response to submit feedback.
Using the App
Once you have successfully downloaded the app to your device, you can log into your Permanent account or sign up just as you would on the web app. When you sign in, you will be taken to your default archive. To learn more about default archives, check out this help article.
If your default archive is currently not the archive you wish to use on your mobile device, or if you need to switch archives, you will need to change your default archive in the web application in your browser on your computer. This functionality in the mobile app will be available soon!
In the mobile app, you can upload files from your device, organize your files, and generate share links just as you would in the web application in your browser. Below is a list of the current functionality available in the mobile app:
Signup for a new account
Move, copy, and delete files
Login w/ biometrics
Add members to your archive
Access your default archive
Share files and folders
Upload files and folders
Generate a share link
Edit file metadata
Edit account info
View most file types
Over the next few months, we intend to release the following features so that the mobile app functionality matches the web app:
Grid view for files
Edit archive profile
Publish files and folders
Your input will help to directly determine the success of these apps. Please download the apps to your mobile device, use them to preserve your most important memories as they happen, and let us know what your experience is like.
Need additional help or have questions? Contact us here
and we'd be happy to help.
What is Permanent.org?
Permanent.org is the world’s first consumer-grade, secure cloud storage service backed by a nonprofit. But it's more than just a cloud based back-up service. Our permanent digital archives provide you with a safe place to preserve and share your ...
Why Should You Trust Permanent?
Preservation for every person is now within reach. Here’s why Permanent is a safe choice for your family’s cherished memories. As a nonprofit, we’re different from other storage providers. The Permanent Legacy Foundation is building the world’s ...
What is the Permanent Legacy Foundation?
The mission of the Permanent Legacy Foundation is to provide a permanent place to store digital materials so that they will be preserved for family, friends, and future generations. The Foundation develops and maintains Permanent.org, an online ...
Why can't I view my file on Permanent?
If you click on a file to view it in Permanent and it does not open, it could be because of one of the following: The file type is not compatible with our viewer Permanent.org accepts any file type for preservation, but some files are not available ...
A default archive is the archive that automatically loads when you sign in to your Permanent account. Your default archive is notated and can be changed through the Archives section of your account menu. To change your default archive, click on your ...