REACH BioPad 3200 Kiosk
Reach allows you to create dedicated touchscreen kiosks for students to use when signing in and out around your school's campus. These dedicated devices can be locked down to a Kiosk Only view so that access to other parts of Reach are prevented. Students can then use the dedicated Kiosk device for all of their sign in and sign out movements.
Any PC, Tablet or other device can be used as a dedicated student Kiosk. It simply needs to access the Reach web application as a Kiosk Only User and an internet connection.
How to create a Kiosk Only User
Kiosk only users are created in your People Management section. Generally only users with system administrator access will be able to access the People Management section.
- People Management > View Contacts > Create a New User
- In the Personal tab set enter the name of the Kiosk in the First Name and Last Name fields. Email and Mobile are also required fields, but entering N/A will allow for the saving of the profile as no Email or Mobile are required for a Kiosk user.
- In the Security tab set the Role Type as Staff - Kiosk View
- Set a Username and Password for the Kiosk Only user
- If you want the Kiosk to filter to display a specific group you will need to set the "Groups Managed" to reflect this for the Kiosk account. Users can still adjust the filters on the screen to see more or less information however the Groups Managed settings will be set as the default view for your Kiosk Only display.
Check to be sure the Accessibility settings of the account created are set to act as staff and are locked to Kiosk mode (see next section for more details).
- If you're using a QR code or RFID card reader with the Kiosk, you have the option to set the Kiosk to a particular location. Scanning the QR code or RFID card will change the user's location to that specified location. In the Metadata Tab, select the Kiosk's location from the Current Location drop down menu. See How to Activate QR Codes to learn how to set up QR codes with your Kiosk.
When you log into your intended device as the Kiosk Only User then the access will be locked down to the Kiosk screen only.
Remember, when creating a new account for a user or when updating an existing user's account to always Save once changes/updates have been completed. If it's an existing user, they will need to refresh their session or log out and back in to see the updates to their account take effect.
Checking Accessibility Settings
Accessibility settings can be set in the Infinity module of your System Configuration by setting the Base Security settings for the Role Type = Kiosk Only or they can be set in the individual user profile for each Kiosk account that you create in the "Accessibility" tab of the user profile.
In either instance, the Security setting for a Kiosk Only account should have the ability to behave as a staff member and to be locked to a Kiosk Only mode.
Kiosk vs. Headless Kiosk
Kiosk will display the images of students as well as their current location in the system. To prevent others from seeing this information about other students, you can configure your kiosk to be a Headless Kiosk. System Configurations > General > Headless Kiosk set to "YES" to enable Headless Kiosk in your school's Reach portal. There are a few ways that students can interact with your Headless Kiosk based on how you configure it.
If the Headless kiosk is not associated with a specific location in Metadata within the Kiosk's profile settings, then an RFID card reader would need to be connected and enabled with the tablet or kiosk device to recognize the student who is wanting to interact with the kiosk. Once the student scans their RFID card, the Headless Kiosk will display the Kiosk SISO screen for just that student so they can select their location for their SISO. Once they change their location, the screen will go back to being a Headless Kiosk, not displaying the other students' locations.
If the Headless kiosk is associated with a specific location in Metadata within the Kiosk's profile settings, then you can utilize QR Codes in conjunction with the Reach Mobile app. When a student scans the tablet or kiosk device's displayed QR code the system will recognize the student who is wanting to interact with the kiosk and Reach will change that student's location automatically to the location that is associated with that particular kiosk. In the sample Headless Kiosk below, Dorm Entrance kiosk is associated with the "Dorm" location, so any scan from this kiosk's QR code will automatically change the student's SISO location to "Dorm" within the entire Reach system.