ARTICLE: Parents as Host for Another Student
Many times parents of one student are associated as a host for another student, causing the parent to wonder why they are seeing leave requests in their Reach parent account for someone else's child. Partial visibility will occur if a parent is a host to another student at the school. The parent will see any leave requests that they are involved in with that other student as the host. (see image below). The visibility protocol is:
- They will not and do not see all of the leave requests for a student that is not their own child
- They will see only the leave that they are involved in as the selected host
- They can create a leave request for any child they are a host to from their Reach account
- A leave request they create for another student is not approved until the child's parents and staff at the school approve it that leave request
If you do not want the parents to see their associations to other students in their Reach login, then you can create a separate identity for the parent as a "host" role in Reach (People Management > View Contacts > New Contact). Do not give this second identity a login username in the Security tab and it will never be accessed, only used for the notifications of leave requests when they are selected as a host in a leave request. Add the association to the student as a host through the Associations tab.
Note that the details of this second account will need to be maintained manually and cannot be maintained for accuracy from your data sync to student information system. Make sure in the Security tab you have "Managed by Sync" set to "No" so the contact won't be deleted with each of your system syncs.
IMPORTANT: If your leave types require hosts to approve a leave they are involved in, we recommend the procedure for hosts be configured as follows:
- Set your Leave General settings for all Hosts "must" be set to notify = Yes. This ensures that hosts are always notified and your approval due diligence is implemented and you have the opportunity ensure this host has accepted your terms and conditions for the leave.
- Set your Leave General that Host address and contact details are compulsory. This ensure that you obtain the contact details of all new hosts added to the system.
- If you use Terms and Conditions in your leave approval workflow, set the "must accept T&C" for hosts in your Leave Type configuration for the Host actor. This ensure that the host "must" acknowledge that they have read and accept your terms and conditions for the leave request.
- Even more important is that you should load a leave terms and conditions document into your system. This ensures that every approval you receive is acknowledging that they terms and conditions of your leave will be adhered to. It is essential protection for your school and staff. It appears as a hyperlink link on every authorization request. See ARTICLE: Leave Terms & Conditions documents
If you would like help with any of these settings, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can schedule a time to discuss and explain them for you, ensuring that the settings are configured to best protect your school and staff.
ARTICLE: Leave Terms & Conditions Documents
REACH allows you to attach a document and statement to requests for leave authorizations to parents and hosts so that your school's Terms and Conditions are accessible to and recognized by parents and hosts when they are approving leave. Passive ...
ARTICLE: Leave Types Configuration
Go To: System Configuration > Leave Types The Leave Type configuration is one of the most important structural settings in Reach. Here, Leave Types are created, cloned and all settings are managed. Also, you can control whether you wish to make ...
ARTICLE: How to Create Leave Request - Parent/Host
Creating a Leave Request Parent Portal - Create Leave & Approve from Touchline on Vimeo You can create a Leave Request by selecting the Create Leave Request button on your home page in the Running Leave Log or by opening the Leave Page from the main ...
ARTICLE: Reach Student Primer
Welcome to Reach Student Life Management The Reach platform is a student management system that is designed specifically for boarding schools. It helps your school to manage an extensive range of residential activities including leave, rollcalls, ...
ARTICLE: Medical Appointment Leave Type Configuration
Individual Leave Types can now be associated as Medical Appointments, which will allow them to be displayed in the student's medical calendar as a schedule appointment time. System Configurations > Leave Types Either create a new leave type or open ...